Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

1.05.2005

Post-Op Day 7 - Farewell drain and hello to my new life!

Well, today was the day I was greatly looking forward to – and it didn’t disappoint!

Right now, before I get into it all, I want to stop and say just how thankful I am for my blessings. I never ever want to take how smooth everything is going for granted. I know many people struggle at this stage, and some die during or right after surgery. I will forever be thankful and grateful that I am doing well. I realize things can change at a second’s notice, so I cherish the good things with all my heart. Thank be to God.

Today, I hade my one-week follow-up appointment with Julius at Dr. N’s office. It was a pleasure to get on the scale and see that I was down 12 pounds! Woo hoo! That was such a great feeling! My BMI is down from 50.7 to 48.9. YAY FOR ME!

I was so stressed about getting the drain taken out. However, being the pro he is, Julius took it right out with NO pain! Thank you Julius!

He said I am doing just fine. That was such a relief to hear!!! He said I could drive now (Yay! Freedom!), and I could return to work Monday. I plan to work half-days Monday through Wednesday.

My boss, however, said she doesn’t want me to push it, and if I need half days after that – then take them. She made me promise I wouldn’t push myself (knowing I tend to be an overachiever). Haha I thanked her profusely for being so flexible with all this. She said, “I wouldn’t be if you haven’t earned it.” Yet another blessing to count.

Anyway, Scott and I had a great talk with Julius, and I left feeling really great and pumped! And for the record, Scott is still the greatest! It means so much to me that he goes with me to appointments. It is so critical, as we start this new life together. Thank you Scott! I love you SOOOOOOO much!

The other great part is that today I was released to the full-liquid diet. It felt like my whole world grew! Scott and I stopped at Kroger on the way home. The moment I walked in, the smell of food hit me. But you know what, it didn’t appeal to me. It was just wild to walk in and look at the grocery so differently. You just notice HOW MUCH food there is in there. Haha I didn’t long for it either.

By the time I got home, I felt realllly tired. I did some work from home, and I also sent out an email to my many coworkers who are supporting me on this journey telling them I will be back two days sooner than I anticipated. I received sooooo many positive emails. It made me feel awesome!

I wanted to share one that especially touched my heart. You have to know it’s from a beautiful woman is about 5’1”and 90 pounds. I think it is awesome she can be so supportive when I am sure she has no clue as to what I struggle with. Anyway, here goes…

Wow! I can't believe you'll be back so soon. I'm really proud of you.
It's such a bold step, but I never expect anything less from you. I'm
really glad to hear things went well. You have my strongest
encouragement and support: You go, girl!

I just adore your courage and spirit. You're a beautiful woman -- all
that glitters.

Celebrate yourself! Here's to you. Take care, and we'll see you soon.

Your diva shadow,
Amiko



Isn’t that awesome?

On to other things…
I tried to take my first crushed pill today. It was first mixed in pudding. It tasted awful. I then crushed another one and mixed it with lite grape juice. It too was horrible. A little while after that, I started having pain on my right side.

At my visit with Julius, he told me I always need to call him if 1. I can’t stop vomiting 2. I can’t hold down liquids 3. I have pain for more than an hour.

So, I called him when I realized it wasn’t going away. He said whatever I ate didn't agree with me and to drink water/gatorade and walk. So I did and it went away. What a relief!

It is so scary whenever you feel an ache or pain. You can’t help but wonder if it is something that will kill you. Julius said I will feel all kinds of weird feelings and pains and aches over the next year and a half. Again, the ones I need to worry about are the extended ones. So, Julius saves the day again! I owe that man big time.

After that, I tried to nap. I think I slept, but not very good. I just feel tired but restless. My mind won’t stop going in thousands of directions. Last night I slept better than I had all week. OH! My throat thing went away finally! Last night in bed, I had a big coughing fit. After that, the feeling was gone. Who knows what’s up? I am just relieved!

After I got up from the nap, I took Katie for a walk. I love my walks with her – and I know she loves them with me. In fact, she won’t go out alone with anyone else if I am around. I always have to go.

Anyway, she and I walked around the whole neighborhood. I listened to my meditation music as I walked. The weather has gotten colder and there was quite a breeze. Although it was night, the clouds were dark in some areas – light in others. It was beautiful. As I walked, I kept thinking how I can’t believe that one week ago I was in the worst pain in my life and now here I am walking like I did before surgery.

I just thanked God for the blessings He’s given me, and I just absorbed the energy of the moment. I embraced the changes I am going to be facing as I opened my arms out and let the wind whip my body. It was truly a divine moment.

I am scared but, more so, I am ready. I open my life to all the positives that God is about to bring to me. Change is hard – even when it’s good change. However, I am not going to run from it. I am going to meet it head on and invite it into my life.

God, thank You for today. Please continue to bless me and bless each person who is on this journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home