Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

12.31.2004

Post-Op Day 2 - Beginning my new life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, here I sit. It’s New Year’s Eve and I am drinking beef and vegetable broth out of a crystal snifter. In a little while, I will be sipping on cran-grape juice in a wine glass.

That’s right…I am post-op!!!

Yes, I am very sore. Yes, I am very gassy. Yes, I feel like I’ve been kicked in the gut by a horse. But I did it. And I’m still doing it. I am going to keep on doing it.

I can’t believe I am post-op. It seems like a dream. The surgery was very painful. I can’t lie about that. Horrific is the perfect word to describe it. Some people can handle pain. I thought I was one of them. But I guess I’m not.

The good news is that the horrific pain goes away several hours after surgery. For me, the worst part then became the wait for water. My surgery was at 7:30 a.m. I had to wait until 3:15. It was miserable. Once I drank, I started to feel alive again.

I wanted to walk instantly. I’ve heard the horror stories about those not wanting to get up and walk, and they pay the price – sometimes with their lives. Not me – I was up and at ‘em. The nurses and nurses’ aids would comment on seeing me out. One called Scott and me the ‘walking couple’ after she saw us walking at 3 in the morning.

The night of my surgery, I already had my hair up in piggy tails and lipstick on for when my friend L arrived. She stayed with me for several hours. As an added bonus, our friend Linda showed up too! She’s had the surgery and looks amazing, with an 80 pound weight loss. Both Ls have inspired me in ways they don’t even realize.

I didn’t sleep a lot that night. I wanted to walk about every hour to hour-and-a-half. That morning, they came and go me around 8 a.m. to do my leak test. I agree with everyone else – the taste of that liquid you have to drink is HORRIBLE. The lady said it would taste like seaweed. If seaweed tastes like shit, then I guess it did! However, I am not complaining because I knew once I had the leak test and it turned out OK, I would be one big step toward coming home!

Early in the afternoon, Dr. N’s PA Julius came in to see me. He said he saw me up walking. He said I look great too and that it was because I was walking. I hadn’t had a bowel movement, but he said they sounded good when he listened to them through the stethoscope. So, he released me!

I was soooo glad I got to come home! My parents had to leave the following morning, so I got to spend some time with them. Plus, they got to see me moving around and feeling pretty OK.

I have to say that Scott and Mom were angels at the hospital – even when I was testy and grouchy. The care they gave me was second to none.

My parents in general were wonderful in caring for me through it all. Dad stayed home with our dog Katie, so she didn’t have to go to a kennel. That stresses me out when she does. He also took care of the house. After Mom came home from the hospital, she went through the fridge and pantry to get rid of any tempting food. She also helped clean up around the house. However, the thing that mattered the most was that they were simply here. Just their presence made it all better.

Scott has been amazing. He is just so supportive, gentle, caring and funny. He constantly has gone the extra mile for me – from sleeping beside me on that horrible chair-couch thingy to walking with me in wee-early hours to emptying my drain bag to changing my dressings like a pro. I love him so much. I don’t doubt for a minute that I am soooo blessed to have met and married such a wonderful man. Thank you Scott!

Last night after I got home, I was kinda rough. I was worried I would mess things up. I was also worried about not having had a bowel movement yet. I didn’t want there to be any problems obviously.

I would sleep a little bit and then be up a little bit. Sleep a little bit and then be up a little bit. I had to take my meds, sip my liquids, so on and so forth.

At about 2:30 a.m. or so, my tummy started rumbling. The milk of magnesia kicked in with a vengeance. Hehe I have had multiple bowel movements since then. Sorry to be so gross, but it’s an important part of this early portion. I was worried I was having too much diarrhea, but it was explained to me “Liquids in, liquids out.” Hehe I am ok with the thought now.

Today I have walked three times – on average of 10 minutes per walk. I plan to do one more tonight. I’ve slept, taken my meds and been online some. I know I want to be doing more, but I feel like I am doing as good as possible considering I went through major surgery two days ago.

Tonight is New Year’s Eve. Wow…what a year this was for us! From getting married to buying a house to me getting promoted twice to us buying two new trucks to a magical Christmas to this surgery. Thank You God for the many blessings. It has all been a whirlwind, but it has all been worth the time and attention it called for.

God, I ask that you continue to bless my life. I appreciate it so much. I love every minute that You give me. Please let this surgery have been the right thing for me. It’s so scary not being able to see the future. I will just continue to trust You and lean on You. Thank You for Your never-ending grace.

Please bless Scott, Mom and Dad, Granny, Katie, our friends, our family and those we do not know. Please guide us all and let this be a wonderful New Year.

Xoxox
Melissa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home