Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

1.03.2005

Post-Op Day 5 - Blessings

Today has been really good so far. It has moved more quickly than the past four days it seems.

I actually worked today from home. There was a report due and, instead of making people wait until my boss returned from vacation tomorrow, I did it from home.

It has felt sooooooooooooo great to feel productive! Also, emailing back and forth with people has really passed the time! YAY! This drain will be removed in no time!

Let me clear my throat...
I have had some weird feeling in my throat since after writing in my journal last night. I don't know what in the world is wrong with it. It has felt swollen.

Anyway, I think I might have figured it out. This is what I posted to the support group:

I think my throat might feel swollen because I might have drank too hot of broth last night. It wasn't THAT hot, but maybe my skin is delicate from the tube I had in surgery and it was hot enough to scald it a little and make it swell?

I remember I started feeling it last night after drinking some broth. It felt weird going down. After that, it felt swollen and weird. I just drank some more warm broth, and I felt that same feeling again.

I dunno...as long as it's not a complication, I can live with it. :-)

Just wanted to share!
Melissa

Progress report

I definitely think I've lost 10 pounds now! I am so excited! I just have to do that 17 more times, and I am there. haha How's THAT for positive thinking?

Woo hoo! A woman in our support group posted that she has lost 100 pounds in less than six months! WOW! I am so happy for her! I told L that I cannot EVEN imagine me losing that in a year - let alone six months. WOW!

I think I am still in the mindset that great things like that happen to other people. But for me, I will be the first it doesn't work for. haha Oh well, I know God has His perfect plan, and I am just going with the flow.

I am able to drink A LOT more now. I drank 10 ounces of broth in less than an hour, and by noon I had drank 3/4 of a pint of water and about 18 ounces of Gatorade.

I am peeing fairly regularly, and I finally had a bowel movement last night at one or two this morning. So, (knock on wood) it seems like things are healing nicely. :-)

I have been feeling lightheaded and a little dizzy still. It might be the anesthesia wearing off. Who knows. I will ask on Wednesday.

I am blessed
Before this gets too old, I wanted to share the letter that I sent out before my surgery. I think it will show how I approach things with friends and family. I know some people receive negative responses when they tell people. However, I refused to open the door. I wanted to set the tone up front.

Here's the letter:

Hi all -

Since you are my friends, I wanted to let you know that my life is about to change in a major way: I am going to be having gastric bypass surgery on Wednesday.

Today is my last day at work. I will be in the hospital until Friday if all goes well. I will return to work hopefully by the 12th.

What this means for me is that my stomach will be reduced to the size of an egg, and it will only hold several ounces per meal. It will obviously limit my food intake for a while until it stretches out some. After about a year, I will be able to eat most things again and my stomach will hold a cup of food or so per meal.

Here will be my menu for the upcoming weeks:

The first week: Liquids only (Unsweetened fruit juice, water, Gatorade, Propel, tea, coffee)
Weeks 2-6: The same as above plus cream of wheat, cream soups, broth, yogurt, Carnation sugar-free Instant Breakfast, etc. (basically anything I can get through a straw)
Weeks 7-12: The same as above plus soft foods (eggs, pasta, etc.)


After that, I will basically eat a normal high-protein and healthy carb (fruits and veggies) diet - I just won't eat as much food as most people. :-)

I wanted to let you all know this because, over the next year, my appearance will change quite a bit. The weight loss from this is pretty rapid. For instance, I could be down 20 pounds in a month or so - perhaps 40 in three months. To combat the stress this puts on my system, I will be taking vitamins and supplements to balance things out.

Anyway…I know some people have strong negative opinions about the surgery and that's fine. I am not doing this for other people - I am doing this for me. :-) My health is actually very good (great blood pressure, great cholesterol levels, no physical problems). I want to keep it that way for the future; this surgery will help me achieve that goal.

Don't worry - I am not just jumping into this blindly. Being that I am a journalist by trade, I have been researching all the ins and outs of this surgery for months. I am confident in my decision. This will be a difficult and wonderful journey all rolled into one.

I feel very blessed because my wonderful husband Scott is super supportive of me, as are my family members, my boss Jeanne and those who already know about the surgery. All that means the world to me. My success definitely will take teamwork, and I hope you want to be part of my winning team. :-)

Until I see you all again, be safe and know that you are so very special to me. I appreciate you sending me any prayers and positive energy.

Melissa :-)

I received so many positive responses. I want to share a few…

I have a friends who's mom went through this a couple of years ago…she is now even more (or less (tee hee)) of a hottie and doing better than ever! And like you…she did it for herself!! Good luck and God bless!! I'll keep you in my prayers for sure!!
Rachel
****
I will definitely keep you in my prayers…I hope that everything goes smoothly for you. PLEASE keep me updated during your absence.
<3 ya! Deandra
****
Melissa,
I wish you all the luck in the world!! You're so brave for doing this.
Please let Gregg and I know if you or Scott need anything, not only during the time of your surgery and recovery, but at anytime day or night.
Maybe once you're up for it, we can all go out on a date to a juice bar :-)
All of our thoughts and prayers will be with you!!!

love you,
Allison
****
Dear Melissa:
Best of luck to you. I will most definitely be sending positive thoughts and energy your way. Don't worry about what others may think! It's your life and you are doing what you feel is best for you. If they cannot understand that, then they are not your friend. Take care of yourself and God bless! :-) E!
****
Melissa, I am SO excited for you. When I heard this on Sunday I was a little surprised. You are such a beautiful person already and you seem absolutely comfortable just the way you are. I believe that people HAVE to do what they need to do or it is just a waste of life. This will be a wonderful adventure for you even if it isn't always easy. I am absolutely in support of your decision if you are comfortable with it. Prayers for you have already gone up on your behalf and many more each time I think of you. If you need ANYTHING let me know. Thanks for giving us that information and keeping us in the loop it is really thoughtful of you. I'm looking forward to seeing your changes. Good luck and God bless. Ronnie and Sherri
****
Melissa,

I just saw your message and I want to wish you good luck. You are a strong woman and I am proud that you are taking such measures to care for your health. As for your new diet-- you are a brave woman :) Please keep me up-to-date. I love hearing from you.
~Lisa
****
Oh My Gosh!!! I just heard about it this morning. My prayers will be with you, I know this is a very difficult and life-changing procedure. I'll do my best to minimize the chocolate temptations in my mailbox.
And, by the way, I think you look beautiful just the way you are -- inside and out! But I'm sure this is something you really want to do for you. Whatever makes you feel good....go for it!
Best of luck with everything.
Linda
****
Oh, Melissa.
I am going to pray that you have a speedy recovery. You will do just fine. Keep God first and he WILL work everything out for you. I hate I didn't get a chance to give you a big hug today before I left but, you WILL be in my thoughts and prayers.
Hang in there and I will see you when you return.
Dee
****
Melissa, I will certainly keep you in my prayers and add you to our prayer list in my Sunday school class. I think it's a brave thing you are doing and wish you success in your new figure. Also I'm glad you're not concerned about some people's negative thoughts on this surgery. You're right! You are doing it for you, not for them. Thank you for letting me know and including me in your circle of friends. Take care and God be with you.
Bev
****
Liquids only?...alcohol is a liquid.
I'm sure this was a hard decision for you and your family, I'm very happy for you on this next step in your life.
Don't hesitate to ask for help, you will be in our thoughts.
With your positive attitude and personality I know it will be a complete success.
See you very soon
Paul
****
I trust you on this. I know it will be work and I have every confidence you can handle it. I'm there for you!
Betty
****
You probably won't get this until you return, but I love you and wish you the best, Melissa. My sister was to have this surgery years ago, but it never happened for money reasons. I support your decision 100% and hope that it brings about the changes that you want to see in your life.
Julie
****
I will be thinking of you tomorrow. *hugs*

For those who are skeptical, they obviously don't know that living life requires taking risks. The risks we take are rewarded... there is no reward in not living your life to the fullest. You are simply taking a step towards that.

Cassie and I will see you soon!

Donna
****
So glad you shared this with us - we'll be praying for you!
Renita and Mike
***
Melissa,
Just wanted you to know I’ve been thinking about you and hope that you are doing fine. Not sure you are even checking e-mail, but if you are, this is just a “hi” from me. I am sure things will go fine for you. That was such a major step and I know you found out all you could before making a decision. You always do a thorough research job. Anyway, I’m proud of you for being strong enough to make a decision that will change your life for the better. I’m keeping you in my prayers that you continue to do well.
Donna B.


Finally, on the morning of my surgery, I had the most beautiful letter ever waiting for me in my inbox with the subject line: “To my beautiful wife.” It was from Scott. I hold these words so close to my heart. I love you Scott!!!! THANK YOU!

My love,

Today you embark on another journey -- a very big journey. Perhaps the biggest one yet. In many ways it would have to be. Not too many journeys start with major surgery but this time, for you, it does.

I love you so much Melissa and I am so happy for you that all of your work and research is paying off quickly. I know how you hate to wait. I know this time you were kind of counting on waiting a little longer than you did but I think it's for the better that you didn't. If it had taken longer I think you might have had enough time to talk yourself out of this.

I have never once pushed you in this direction, this has been all on your own, just like buying our beautiful home. You have accomplished so much in such a short time -- accomplishments that a few years ago, I'm sure, you would have thought were all impossible. You made all of them happen!

And now, for the first time ever in the history of man, a butterfly gets to go back to the cocoon and become a totally different butterfly.....again. That's it in a nutshell for me and I hope you believe that. I think you are so beautiful and I can't tell you that enough. I think you know that already. I want you to be happy with yourself though -- truly happy, and I think this is just the ticket for you.

You'll never ever disappoint me by doing what it takes to make you happy, just never be afraid to tell me what I need to do though to make you happy if I'm not already doing it. I'm Martian, cut me some slack, will ya?

Know that while you sleep, I am always with you - through thick AND thin :-)

I love you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home