Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

12.06.2004

A blessed day - I'M APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it has been forever since I’ve written. So much has transpired…

I AM APPROVED AND I HAVE A SURGERY DATE!!!

I can’t really believe it actually. I am sort of numb, nervous and excited – all rolled into one.

Let me backtrack some…

On Nov. 23, I met with the nutritionist. It went really well. She was nice and gave me some good info. I now have a better grasp of what eating will be like for me – for at least the first 12 weeks. The first week is clear liquids only. During the 2nd through the 6th week, I will be on creamed soups, smoothies, etc. The second six weeks are soft foods. After that, I graduate to big-people food. Hehe

Anyway, my meeting with Dr. Naaman went extremely well. I got there early and they took me early! When does that ever happen in a doctor’s office?! Pam the nurse was fabulous – outgoing, kind and nurturing. Dr. Naaman was quiet and a nice. He told me that I’m “just too sweet.” Hehe

He felt my abdomen, explained the surgery to me and offered to answer any questions. I didn’t have anything major. We then discussed my journalism background and he told me that his daughter is a journalism student in college. After that, he was off to the next patient.

I met with Amanda, who explained just how busy she is and how she fights with insurance companies. She’s quite aggressive in general. But, I guess she has to be to do that job.

Then I finally got to meet Bernie. What a sweetheart. She is definitely the best at customer service. She makes you feel like you’re #1. It was honor to meet her.

My best girlie girl L had an appointment after me. So I waited for her and her friend Kim. L and I were thirsty and starved because our appointment was at 4 and 4:30 respectively, and we couldn’t drink or eat for 8 hours prior because we had to take an H-Pylori test. This test checks for stomach bacteria that can cause ulcers in your new pouch. We were both negative! Woo hoo!

Dinner was great. It was nice meeting Kim and catching up with L. She is so fun.

Fast forward to Wednesday, Dec. 1. Bernie had told me to call and check to see if my paperwork had been sent to insurance. I asked for Bernie, but Amanda intercepted my call and explained (lectured) to me that she is the one who I need to talk to. She told me that Dr. N had written his info. She was just waiting for Gretchen at my insurance office to call her with the fax number.

The following day, I call the general line at Great West and they tracked down Gretchen’s fax number. I called and gave the info to Amanda.

On Friday, Dec. 3, Gretchen called at around 11 a.m. She had left me voicemail saying that she had compiled all my info and it was with the medical director. I was thrilled! I just didn’t know how long it would take to get an answer – a few days? Weeks? Months?

An hour or so later, she called again. She said, “Merry Christmas Melissa!! You’re approved!”

I was freaking FLOORED! I could not believe it! It seemed so easy! I was prepared for a fight! I felt like then that it was meant to be.

All weekend I thought about this surgery. Getting the approval made it so much more real to me. Scott and I had a long talk about it. We’re committed partners in this journey together. I need him more than he will ever know. I explained to him that feeling as best as I could. He is so supportive and positive. I feel like we had a wonderful moment in our relationship as we dedicated ourselves to this.

I have learned so much in all that I have read over the past few months. I told myself that there are some things I want to remember when I am in the middle of it all. Below is my commitment to myself that I will live by…

The first year of a new Me

Goals
For the next year, I am committed to focusing on ME. While it’s always important to treat myself well, it is essential this first year. I only get one chance for this kind of significant weight loss – so I must take maximum advantage of the opportunity.

Therefore, I must:
  • Eat appropriately
  • Exercise daily
  • Drink enough water
  • Get enough sleep
  • Manage my stress
  • Practice positive self-talk
  • Keep my perspective on the weight loss
  • Face and work through emotional issues as they arise
  • Follow all rules

Tings to remember

  • I realize that the pain is only temporary, and it is the final step before I experience a whole new life. I work with my body to heal itself so I can embark on this new journey.
  • I refuse to fixate on what I can’t eat right now – it’s self-sabotage. Sure there is some mourning for my old way of living, but I know this is an entirely better way for me. I strive to remember that I eventually will be eating modified portions of most “normal” foods again. Food is not going anywhere - it will all be waiting for me in a year. I will just have a better relationship with it.
  • I understand that many, if not most, people have some sort of buyer’s remorse after surgery. I also understand I have some times when I simply feel down. I know this is natural, and I do not panic when it happens to me. I will keep my perspective and go with the natural flow.
  • I refuse to obsess over the scale. Instead, I practice being thankful for having this valuable tool, which has so richly blessed my life. I need to remember that the weight will come off in due time. Everything is as it should be.

***
Today I contacted Amanda and told her the good news. She wasn’t as thrilled as me (understandable) and told me she would contact Gretchen to verify it. She would add me to her “growing to-do list.” Nothing like making the customer feel like she’s No. 1, eh?

This was a rough day at work. So, when Amanda called again, I was glad she told me she could get me in on Wednesday, Dec. 29. Yes, that’s right – in 23 DAYS! Totally wigged me out! The surgery is at 7:30 a.m. – I have to be there at 5:30 a.m. That means we will leave around 4:30 a.m. YIKES!

I am still kinda iffy on that date. My parents are driving a 1,000 miles from Indiana to arrive here on Christmas Eve. They had planned to leave on the 29th. I hate rushing them off. I wish they could be here the first few days. There’s nothing like your Mom and Dad to care for you. Also, my wonderful friend Marshall, who was a wonderful maid of honor, is having his 50th birthday party on the 1st. I don’t want to miss that unless I absolutely need to. UGH.

I will get the details worked out. I am just thrilled that this is really going to happen. Actually, I am verrrrrry nervous. I feel like I can handle the new way of eating and drinking, I am just scared about the surgery.

As I was telling my friend L, my life is so wonderful now. I have a terrific hubby, a precious dog, two loving parents, amazing friends, a brand new house, a new SUV, a job that I love, etc. etc. I never want to ruin any of that. My health is good except for the extra weight. I am scared of messing it up. I just pray that God will continue to guide my path on this. He is so good to me. I am richly blessed. Thank you God!

Ok I am exhausted…I will write more later when I am coherent!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home