Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

8.12.2005

Odds and Ends: Hair loss, observations and shallow people

I thought I would just write a post about some things floating around in my mind...

Hair update
I've been meaning to write an update regarding my hair loss. I am happy to report that it significantly slowed down about a month ago I would say. Two weeks ago when I went to see my hairdresser, she could see little hairs growing back and she said the texture of my hair felt better.

When I wash my hair in the mornings, I have a LOT less hairs coming out into my hands. I might have anywhere between 1 to 3 hairs come out now compared to 20-30. When I brush my wet hair, there's a couple of strands stuck to my comb. Again, before it would be a glob.

While I could tell it was significantly thinning out in the midst of things, my friends have commented they couldn't tell a difference. So, I don't know.

I am eager to get my hair grown back out. I at least want it back shoulder length. I am sure it will be at that point in about six or so months. It seems to be growing at a nice speed.

I have to say that I am soooooooo relieved that the bulk of hair loss is over (I hope!). That was a really horrible feeling. My poor hair is already so thin and baby fine - I was truly worried. I know, I'm so vain. haha

Interesting observations
Since my weight loss has slowed down over the past two months, the dramatic changes have slowed down too. However, I've made two interesting observations about how much I've changed.

First, my shadow looks different. haha Before, my shadow looked like a blob. Now, I see my definition - especially my breasts and tummy. My shadow looks much more slimmer - no more blob. I think that's really neat!

The other observation I made had me perplexed for a while. As I've written before, I soak in the tub almost every night as I read and listen to classical, jazz or meditation music.

Well, lately it seems that it sure takes forever for the tub to fill up. I kept thinking there must be something wrong with our water pressure - even though it seemed to be coming out fine.

It finally hit me that there is less mass on my body; thus, it takes more water to fill the tub! haha When I was bigger, it didn't take a lot at all. Now, it takes a good 3-5 minutes to fill the tub up with me in it. Ok I know that's a bizarre observation, but it's a pretty exciting one if you ask me! :-)

It finally happened...
When I use to contemplate losing weight, I would get this angry/defensive feeling inside of me. It would piss me off to no end thinking of how shallow people might be when seeing me with less weight.

I always felt that I was sexy and attractive at my highest weight. As I say, Sexy Comes in All Sizes. The thought of someone paying attention to me once I got some weight off just really irked me a lot.

Luckily, up until yesterday, I hadn't encountered that feeling. I've gotten lots and lots of compliments in the past 7 months. But they've never been insulting. They've been from people who loved me as-is; people who are just happy for me and proud of my dedication and success. Often they have said something along the lines of, "You were great to begin with and you just keep getting better."

I thought I had gotten over that inner defensiveness since I've been able to handle compliments from people. But, apparently I haven't.

There is a man who is a manager at work. He's known to be quite an asshole and he comes off as arrogant. I know in the past he was quite heavy himself. After working out and changing his eating apparently, he has lost a lot of weight. He is nice looking and appears to be in shape. It's just his attitude that repels women.

Well, this guy and I don't have to interact. So, I was ok with the fact that he didn't seem to ever notice me. He's just like that.

Yesterday, I won an award and had to get up in front of a lot of people to accept it. He was in the audience. Afterwards, we had another meeting. When I walked into the building, he was standing there talking to my friend Mark. Since this guy never acknowledges me, I just walked by and said hi to Mark and ignored the other guy.

After that meeting, Mark came up to me and said, "Sorry if we seemed kinda weird there when you walked up." I told him that I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

He then said that he and that guy had been talking about me. He said that guy was like, "Wow Melissa has lost a lot of weight. How much has she lost?"

Mark told him he thought it was right at 100 pounds. This guy then said something like, "Man, it's made a big difference. She looks incredible." Then Mark said, "The bottom line is that he thinks you are incredibly gorgeous and really hot now."

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! How shallow is THAT????????????? I guess of all people I would expect more from, it would be from someone who has lost a lot of weight. I am sure he didn't appreciate hearing he wasn't worth noticing before but now that he is thinner, he is all that. Or maybe he did. Maybe he had no self-esteem before. Who knows?

For some reason, this really offended me. I know I need to take the chip off my shoulder. But, it's hard to do so.

***

Ok that's it for now. I've gotta get ready for work. TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home