Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

7.30.2005

Post-Op Day 212: Catching up!!

Hello! I know I've been Missing in Action the past few days.

As I type this, I have on NASA TV and I am listening as the astronauts finish up their first space walk. This has been quite an emotional week. It's been a roller coaster ride indeed.

The launch on Tuesday was absolutely one of the most exhilarating moments in my life. Sitting in the auditorium there at Johnson Space Center with the people of the space program was such a humbling experience and one I don't take for granted. I've been there now for 4 1/2 years, I still feel the awe when I drive through the gates in the morning, and I will forever be the Space Program's supporter.

I've seen a launch in person (Columbia's last completed mission in fact) and I've watched one in Mission Control. Both were almost overwhelming. However, I think Tuesday's launch truly did overwhelm me. As soon as Discovery lifted off the pad, I couldn't help but clap, scream "Go! Go!" and cry. All of us in there were in this overwhelmed state of emotion!

Normally, we don't clap until about 7 minutes into the launch during MECO - Main Engine Cut Off. It's a tradition because at that point, the launch is deemed a success. However, this time, nobody could hold in their response to seeing Discovery leave that pad. I still get chills just remembering it. I watched the replay over and over and over. It was a memory I will cherish forever.

So, for us to find that the ET shed foam again and everything else that keeps unfolding, it has been depressing beyond belief. To go from such a feeling of victory to such a feeling of horrible de ja vu - it's terrible. We just keep plugging away and doing our jobs, but there is a sense of uneasiness in all of our stomachs. Well, at least mine anyway.

I have to work today and tomorrow in fact - even though it's the weekend. I am working with the media, assisting them with interviews. I don't mind working. It's only for a few hours and I want to be a part in anyway possible.

So...that's that. If I don't write a lot, you know why. I am just kind of emotionally drained now.

Perfection! ;-)

On Thursday, I had my six-month check up with Dr. Naaman - even if it was a day before my seven-month anniversary. :-)

I was really nervous to hear what my bloodwork would show. However, I knew it was all OK when Dr. N walked in with a HUGE smile on his face. He is generally a serious man, so to see him smile told me I was getting good news.

My friend Liz asked how it went and I wrote her the following synopsis. I figured I could just post it here:

He said I am the epitome of a "perfect patient." He said I am absolutely perfect in my weight loss, vitamin levels, cholesterol levels, blood count and liver functions. He was proud of me for wearing a pedometer and walking, and he was thrilled I started a support group at work. He said I couldn't be more perfect if I tried.

I asked about my B-12 levels. He said I could take the sublingual if I wanted, but I am right in the healthy range. So, I guess two Flintstones a day really works!

He and Pam looked at my belly and basically "ooooh"'d and "aaaah"'d it - saying it looked wonderful. I don't even know what they were looking at though!

I took him some NASA stuff and he was like a kid in a candy shop. Seriously. He was giddy. As I was leaving, he hugged me and was laughing - telling me I'm the best. I've never seen him that jovial in my life!


So that's that! I was sooooooooooooooo elated! I feel so very blessed. Thank you God for protecting me in this journey.

Happy seven months to me!
Well, yesterday was my seven-month anniversary. I cannot believe how quickly it's flying by now! The scale has been moving. Yesterday I weighed in at 217, though today I am at 218. Regardless, it's finally out of those 220s! I felt like I was stuck in the 220s FOREVER! I know I wasn't but it felt like it. haha

Yesterday, Katie and I took our longest walk ever. We walked through the neighborhood next to ours. Dr. N said to break out of my plateau, I need to start walking longer than I am now. Today she and I went even farther. I am enjoying those longer walks. I remember the last time I walked in the other neighborhood when I was much heavier (months before my surgery) - I about passed out! This time, I walked that far and then much more with no real problem.

My left foot still is hurting, but I try to ignore it and keep walking. I am going to the podiatrist Monday. I hope it's nothing major.

I so want to keep losing the weight, so the walking is not only enjoyable but gives me hope that I can keep on moving down the scale. I still can't disregard how far I've come. I've loved saying farewell to the 320s, 310s, 300s, 290s, 280s, 270s, 260s, 250s, 240s, 230s, 220s! WOW!

Today I logged into my old Weight Watchers profile for the message boards. I had my weight info listed as 313.2/313.2/299.

It was wild to see that! I thought I was huge at 313.2 (and I was) but I still wound up gain 10 pounds more before I had the surgery. And, to see my goal as 299, it blew me away. I remember thinking, "If I could just get under 300 again, I will feel so much better."

Now, here I sit at 218 and my current weight info is: 324/218/155. Simply AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toni becomes a BUTTERFLY!!!!

Finally, I am PLEASE TO ANNOUNCE that Toni began her transformation Wednesday! Yup, she did it - she's on the other side!!!!!!! I went to see her Thursday and she was in wonderful shape! She seems to have had a lot less pain than Deandra and I did. I am so happy for her!

She went home from the hospital yesterday - so the hard part physically is over hopefully. Now comes the psychological part. I know she will do fabulous as always.

I am just so excited for her! I know the wonderful times she is about to experience - the changes, the compliments, the sense of real accomplishment! Sure there are challenges - but once you face them and overcome them, you feel so strong. This surgery does so many wonderful things for your ego and self-esteem.

Thank You God for protecting Toni through her surgery. Please protect all those who are to come.

***
Ok I need to get ready for work. That sounds so weird to say on Saturday. haha I will write when I can! xoxoox

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home