Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

8.22.2005

Just a quick entry...I LOVE BUYING CLOTHES NOW!

Tonight I went shopping at Cato. I desperately need some clothes that fit.

I whizzed through the store picking up XLs left and right. I just couldn't believe how CUTE the clothes were. I figured that even if a couple fit me, I'd be good to go.

When I got into the dressing room, I couldn't believe: More than 95% of the clothes fit and at least 85-90% looked really, really good! I've never in my life had that happen. Even the past few times I've gone shopping, many things fit but not almost every single one of them.

It was soooooooooo hard to choose what I wanted to buy! I wanted it all! OMG! I had to do some serious deliberations. The worst thing is, I'd go back out onto the sales floor and find more to try on. After three try-on sessions, I said ENOUGH!

I literally had to stand there and pick and choose. Before, when I wore sizes 32, 30, 28, 26, 24, 22 and 20, I would buy anything that fit and looked nice because it was such a struggle to find things that did both.

I kept telling myself - "I don't have to get it all right now. Just get enough to last you until you shrink again. From here on out, there's going to be cute, trendy clothes everywhere. You don't have to worry about it anymore. When you get to your goal size, you can buy lots, lots more. It only gets better from here!"

I just wanted to scream for happiness!! For SO LONG I've had to struggle in the plus-size world to look hip and sexy. Even on the plus side of the Cato store, the plus-size clothes were so BLAH. I mean, there were a few cute things, some in bigger sizes of what was on the misses side, but for the most part - it all just blended together and looked big and bulky.

I know how my heart would have sank if I had to walk in there and shop on the plus side only like I have for years upon years. I always held out hope that eventually the fashions would get better. I'd think, "Maybe this season the designers will get wise and come out with some cute things!" But they never do. Oh, it's gotten better but it's nowhere close to the beautiful and fun offerings that sizes 18 or less are offered. It's sickening.

When I looked through the plus-size clothes there at Cato, it was just a sea of the same ol', same ol' plus size clothes women are dealt with year in, year out. It's pathetic that plus-size woman are given such terrible choices. I would love to design plus-size clothes if I could.

I did grab a blouse on that side of the store that is really, really cute and it was a 14/16. It was so nice to pick it up and put it on with confidence in the dressing room. It's actually a tad too loose, but I love it. I did try on a pair of 16 pants from that side and they were too small. That was the only thing that truly didn't fit. I can handle that! :-)

When I was in the fitting room area, there was a plus-size woman about my age in there. Her hubby was waiting on her. She walked out of her room, glanced at me kinda sadly and stood there for him and asked how it looked. It was just a boring, blah top. You could tell by her lack of enthusiasm and zest that she was just going for something that fit and didn't look too bad. I've been there so many times it's not funny. I wanted to hug her.

Of course he said, "It looks great honey!" She just sorta shrugged and went back to change. I saw them leaving later with a bag, so I guess she bought it. Man, it brought back memories of how, for years, I have felt defeated leaving the fitting room. I would get so upset with myself when I would try on the largest size in Lane Bryant and it barely would fit - or worse, not fit at all.

I couldn't believe how bad things looked on me. I remember thinking that it seemed their sizing was off, and that they were making their clothes a little smaller. Talk about major denial, huh? I think I knew in my heart of hearts that my body was just growing out of control. It just hurt too much to face it.

My body now is by far not perfect. I still see the belly and fat rolls. However, clothes just look better on me now. They're looking more like they should. I still have 50 pounds to go, but losing 115 sure has made a big difference in my options.

And, the thing is, clothes are SO MUCH CHEAPER now. I bought five complete outfits, two necklaces and two pairs of earrings for just under $200. The most expensive item? The plus-size top that cost $2 more for the "extra material." UGH it pisses me off that plus-size people have to pay more!!

Each one of the other items was $19.99 or less! I bought several skirts under $15. It's just unreal!

Anyway, I just had to share all of this. I know that when I was a pre-op or new post-op, I would read people's journal about finally fitting into regular clothes and it would give me such hope. Now that it's my turn, I never want to take it for granted and I want to give other people hope as well. I appreciate this blessing SO much. Thank You God!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home