Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

6.26.2005

Post-op Day 179 - Life is so good

What a fabulous night we had! Scott looked absolutely sexy as can be all dressed up and wearing his ponytail! I was so proud of him as I watched him usher everyone in. Scott has the best smile and the deepest eyes. I loved watching him interact with people. I sat there and thought, “That’s my handsome man.” Silly, I know. But, sometimes when you just take a moment to sit back and watch, you realize just how lucky you are.

I cried through the WHOLE wedding. It was absolutely the sweetest one ever. The couple is made for one another, and Scott and I are both so happy for them. I didn’t get to sit with Scott since he had duties, but I wish he had been there beside me. He said the wedding made him emotional too. I couldn’t wait to see him afterwards just to tell him I love him and our marriage.

The rest of the night was a blast. We were at the reception for about five hours. Haha I was the driver, so Scott could enjoy the excellent margaritas. I drank about a half of one. While I loved it and wanted more, I didn’t want to push it too much.

I also ate about five total bites of the wedding cake! Mmmmmmmmmmm That was a major step for me. I’ve yet to dump (knock on wood!), so I don’t have a clue as to what will push me over the edge. I took two bites and let it be. Then about a half hour later, I took a third. About two hours later, I took my final two bites. I have to say that MAN IT WAS SOOO GOOD! I don’t miss a lot of things, but bakery cake will forever be my favorite food! So, I was thrilled to still enjoy it in moderation without paying the price.

Finally, what was everyone’s response? Overwhelming! You just can’t imagine how many times you will hear compliments throughout this journey! I heard how great I look all night long. At first I use to get uncomfortable with it in the sense I didn’t know how to respond. My nature is to shrug off compliments. But now I just smile and give a genuine “thank you! I really appreciate that!” because I really do!

People are so interested in the surgery. Most will ask if I am feeling OK. I tell them I feel like a million dollars. I think they envision people being so sickly, you know? I’ve been sickly but not because of the surgery. Haha People are always amazed by how little I eat or how quickly the weight came off. I share my story with anyone who will listen. I am honest and I am enthusiastic. There’s so much negativity surrounding this surgery, so I work to give a fair and balanced version of a positive side.

Last night, a friend took two pics. One was just Scott and me; the other with Scott, me and the friend’s girlfriend. When he showed me the pics on his digital camera, I couldn’t believe how I looked. I hadn’t seen any pics with my hair cut off, so that was wild. But, more importantly, I couldn’t believe how small I looked – my face, my shoulders, my body! It was absolutely freaky! I looked that way in both of the pics, so I know it wasn’t a fluke. It was indeed shocking, you know? Scott said to me “It’s cuz you’re tiny!” haha NOT!

So, the rest of the night I posed for pics. I didn’t worry that I would look like a huge cow. I still might look big, but I knew it wouldn’t be shocking big like I use to feel at my highest weight. I now look more like how I felt inside while at my highest weight, if that makes sense. I never felt that big. Ever.

When we were dancing, I grabbed our friend Mike and started shaking my booty on his as a joke. He laughed and said, “Now you’re butt’s half the size of mine!” I was like “RIGHT! Baby’s still got back!” and we laughed. Guess what the next song was? You’re right – Baby’s Got Back. Haha It was fate!

…and a good time was had by all. hehe

On a related but unrelated note: Before the wedding, I ran to a gas station to get some Listerine Strips (I am paranoid about bad breath haha). Anyway, when I walked up to the counter, the lady (who I think was Middle Eastern) kept looking at me and asked if I was from Houston. I thought it was a weird question but I said: “Yes, but I am not from this part – I live down south.”

She goes, “ohhh I thought you were from England. The way you look – you’re hair and skin – everything.”
I thought that was so weird. I just said, “Nope – I live here!”

After she gave me my change, she said, “Here you go. You are gorgeous. Just gorgeous.”

I was speechless. That was such a nice thing to say! I said, “Awwwww that is SO sweet. Thank you!”

She said, “You really are.”

Life is so good. Thank You God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home