Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

2.13.2005

Post-Op Day 46 - An addendum: Getting back on top of my ADD

I’ve been really struggling with my ADD lately. Since I no longer take medication for my ADD, I have to stay on top of life or I get behind very easily.

For the past six weeks, I haven't been able to clean like I wanted, so the house is in need of a good scrubbing. Plus, I need to pay bills since we got paid Friday. The mail is piled high and needs sorting. I also need to develop a new schedule for myself since I have different needs now. With my ADD, all this adds up to be totally overwhelmed.

I manage my ADD best when I am on top of cleaning, bills and mail, while maintaining a schedule. I've felt lost this entire six weeks. Once I get behind, I feel very frustrated and don’t even know where to begin to get back on track. So, I find myself avoiding it all – which, in turn, makes it worse.

Today I am working to get on top of life. For instance, I was behind on this journal...so I am getting caught up. I also got another thing checked off the list when I posted in my support group. I've been very disconnected with them - so that was good for me. After I write in my journal, I am going to pull up my schedules and start restructuring things on paper. I have to put it all on paper - it's a visual for me and helps give me a map in the mornings and at night.

When I am really good with my ADD, I use a timer in the morning. The ticking gives me a sense of urgency – thus prompting me to hurry up and get ready. Otherwise, I sit here at the computer and lose track of time.

ADD can be very disabling if it isn't managed. When I do well in life, it's the times I have myself focused. That means I am following to-do lists, using the timer, having everything ready to go the night before, etc. Right now I am struggling.

When I am really, really good - I have my clothes picked out for the week, a towel for every day with a pair of panties with it so I can just grab and go - right now, I am just lost. I run around the house like a crazy woman trying on outfit after outfit - clothes everywhere.

With the surgery, I have to do things differently now. I have to focus on me totally. Before, I could neglect myself and not pay as much of a price. Now, it means I need to plan out my life differently to avoid excess stress and to ensure I meet my needs of rest, exercise and proper eating.

Anyway, I am on the ball today. I’m getting things done and I am feeling better just getting the wheels moving. It’s all about balance. I am finding mine now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home