Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

1.30.2005

Post-Op Day 32 - One month anniversary!

Hi there! I know I have been lax about writing, but I’ve kinda been absent on purpose. I was finding writing about this surgery and my struggles all the time kept me fixated on the rough stuff – namely not being able to eat anything of substance for six weeks. When it’s constantly in your thoughts, it just makes the time drag.

Therefore, I’ve been working on just trying to live life and get through this rough part. It has been THE most challenging thing in my life. I have to say though, when I just dug in and committed myself to pushing on through the tough stuff, everything became more tolerable.

I do love not being hungry all the time. So, by drawing strength from that and working to say no to the head-hunger, I have found myself feeling very empowered by it all. I believe once I get through these six weeks, I can do just about anything in life. I hope to always draw strength from this.

For the record…I have 9 more days until I can eat some real food! YAYAYAY

Ok So…what’s been going on with me?

One-month anniversary
Well, as of yesterday, I am officially one-month post-op! I can’t believe. In some ways, it seems like it has been forever since I had the surgery. Wow. I am so relieved that I had no major complications. While Dr. N’s diet is hard to follow, it does eliminate all the problems that come with eating food too early. I agree with his philosophy – it’s just so damn hard to live it. Haha

I’ve had days where I regretted the surgery, only because of not having food in the amounts that I want. But, in reality, I am so glad I did because there was no way I could have (safely) lost 31.5 pounds in one month otherwise. I am starting to look like me again and clothes are finally starting to fit like they should. I am feeling prettier and sexier. I didn’t realize how much I my confidence had slipped.

Another weird thing is that I have a lot of people tell me that they admire my strength/determination/will power/etc. I never expected people to see this as being hard. I KNEW it would be hard, but for others to see it that way (and to see me as someone to admire because I am doing it) has just been wild.

Anyway, I still can’t wrap my mind around the fact that I will lose more than this. I want to see the scale move every day…but it’s hard to comprehend that as it does, I will shrink. It’s exciting but almost overwhelming. I hope I look good as I shrink.

Weight loss
It slowed down considerably since my last post. As of this writing, I am at -32.5. I try to keep it all in perspective. I am just excited to be on this path and God has protected my journey thus far!

Gall bladder
I learned I have a bad gall bladder. It hurt for two days but went away. The doc ordered an ultrasound of my organs and it revealed that I had a gall stone. It was probably there before the surgery, but the rapid weight loss irritated it. Dr. N wants to wait a few months before putting me through another surgery. Whew!

Dr. Naaman’s office
Speaking of Dr. N…I’ve really been struggling with his office staff and with him this whole time. Without getting into it all, let’s just say that their attitude was bad and not warm, friendly and conducive to the needs of people undergoing this life-altering process.

I finally reached my breaking point and I wrote to Kimberly, who heads up the bariatric program for Memorial City Memorial Hermann Hospital. She handled my letter with love and professionalism. With my permission, she shared the info with Bernie, the office manager for Dr. N and the office’s saving grace. I spelled out my issues with Bernie. She totally understood and told me that it takes hard-to-hear feedback like this to get changes made.

The next day, I had to go see Dr. N about the gallbladder. I found that the office mood was much better. When I talked to Dr. N, he seemed more attentive and kinder. At the end of the talk, he told me Kim had shared my concerns. He thanked me and said I had helped him immeasurably. He said he needs feedback like that to make the appropriate changes. I was nervous talking to him about it, but I felt better once it was all out in the open. I appreciate their openness and willingness to make things better. I respect that greatly.

I truly believe they do care about doing what’s right. If you happen to be a patient of Dr. N’s (or any doctor) and you are not happy with the service you are receiving, PLEASE tell them how you are feeling. It DOES make a difference.

Deandra
My friend and coworker Deandra had her gastric bypass surgery on Thursday. I went to go see her on Friday. It was so wild to go back to those first days post-op. I didn’t realize how far I have come until I saw her. I felt so good being able to share my experiences with her and reassuring her that all is a-ok. To see her in the pain…oh my! It was just awful.

I am soooo thankful that I have come this far. Life is good and I appreciate it so much! Anyway, I am sending a special prayer to her and asking God to make her better each and every day!

Dancing
Last night was my first night out since the surgery. I went dancing. It felt great to get out again! I felt like I looked great, and it was good to move my body some. I didn’t dance a lot though – just enough to feel sex-ay!

I did find myself feeling a bit depressed at the end because 1. I couldn’t drink anything but water and 2. I couldn’t stop and get food after the bar closed.

Isn’t that sad? Haha I didn’t realize what rituals I had in my life until this surgery. I never drank a lot – but to have myLong Island iced tea with me seemed natural. And, to stop and get some biscuits and gravy from Whataburger or a chicken and cheese quesadilla from Taco Cabana – that’s just part of it all. I felt a void somehow when I got home. It’s so weird to realize what plays into your life before your surgery.

Fringe benefit
In addition to me losing weight, Scott is cracking down on his weight too. He looks thin and nobody can believe he is dieting – but he is. He has lost 11 pounds this month! He went from 211 to 200. I am so proud of him! He has been so good to me – not eating a lot in front of me and supporting me in every way. For him to be having weight-loss success makes me very happy for him. I always gain strength from his sheer will and focus. He’s much better at it than me. So, I’ve got a great role model. I love you Scott!

***
Well, that’s about it. What a January this has been! I am just focused on working and making it to Wednesday, Feb. 9! I know it will be here before I know it, and the full-liquids phase will be just a memory! I am excited about the weight coming off more. People are starting to see it in my body in addition to my face. That’s really exciting!

Thank you God for blessing me and for blessing Scott. Please keep blessing us and please bless everyone on this wild and crazy journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home