Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

1.10.2005

Post-Op Day 12 - A new normal

Sorry I haven’t updated for a few days. My energy level has been very low, so I haven’t felt much like writing. For me, writing is a chore. I always say, I hate writing but I love having written.

Normal is as normal does

This weekend was my first trip back to normalcy in many ways. Scott went out of town, so I spent time on Saturday with my two great friends – L and Deb. We decided to do a day of beauty. I needed one badly! Before the surgery, I was so rushed to do everything, I neglected myself.

We went and got our hair done at my salon. Both Liz and Deb got great new ‘dos. It was fun having them there. I finished first, so I would walk around and check on them. To see their transformation was great!

The salon experience took two hours. I realized as we were leaving that I probably needed to get some food. Not being hungry, I made the choice based on my energy level. My great friend Donna was going to meet us at the restaurant, but she had to go back home because her baby needed her attention. I was sad that I didn’t get to see her. Any time with Donna is great time.

Going to a restaurant was sooooo hard because I could only have one thing off the menu – soup. It was wild to look at an entire menu and know I couldn’t have any of it. I just shut it. It was also wild just ordering a water and not even being able to use the straw the waiter gave me. At this point, I feel cut off from the world. It's hard feeling this way.

Before we knew Donna couldn’t make it, we were waiting on her. I felt my energy level dropping rapidly; I finally said I had to eat NOW. So, we got the waiter over and he brought out my soup in record time. It was baked potato soup. Mmmm I was worried about eating the bacon bits on top. I had a few, chewed them up good and swallowed. I didn’t want to bother with the rest, so I pushed them aside.

The soup was hearty and tasted so good. I mushed the potatoes in my mouth to ensure that they weren’t too big to go down. I also ate some of the cheese for protein. I thought I had eaten A LOT and when I voiced that, Deb and L laughed because to them I hadn’t eaten anything. It was surreal, let me tell ya!

We then went to get pedicures. Man that was nice! I treated myself to a manicure as well. It was so fun having us all there talking and enjoying ourselves while doing nothing getting our feetsies pampered.

After we returned to my house, Deb had to leave. After that, L and I went to Walmart to stock up on my supplies. She got a real idea of how limited my menu is.

When we returned for the night, I was tired but not overly so. However, I didn’t roll out of bed until 11 a.m. Sunday. Even at that, I felt like I had been run over by a mac truck! OMG – my energy was GONE! It felt like I was hung over. L told me I looked exhausted.

I had waiting so long to go to the support group meeting, but I was way too tired to go. That really ticked me off because I wanted to see so many people. However, I knew I had to work today and I needed to take care of myself. So, I sent Liz off to the meeting, and I lounged around the rest of the day.

I missed everyone so much. I felt missed too. I had so many nice messages waiting for me in the group. These two really were sweet and funny...

Boy, Melissa,

You sure have some cool friends...I swear half of the people there knew you! I
thought I was attending the Melissa Fan club! See what an positive impact you
and Liz have on People!...You go Girl!

And we sure missed you! Take it easy at work and please don't over do!

Blessings,
LindaM

AND.....

...And it was nice to meet you and all the girls seven degrees of Melissa...forget Kevin Bacon, Melissa has him beat!!!

hehehe

Back in the saddle again

Today was my first day back to work. I couldn’t believe two weeks have passed since I left there for my surgery! I was so scared when I left; and here I am now on the other side and moving around remarkably well. I still live in fear of complications. However, each day that passes I breath a little easier.

Seeing everyone today was sooooooooooooooooooo awesome! I truly work with the best people in the world! From the moment I got in, people were gathering around my door – four or five at a time. They all wanted to hug me and congratulate me. Everyone wanted to hear my stories, and they were all amazed on how little I could eat. Some said they could tell a difference in my face, while some could see it in my body.

One of my employees wrote this to me. Being a 21-year-old guy, I was impressed he even noticed!

That's so amazing how well your recovery is going! I can't believe your surgery was only a few weeks ago. You really look and sound great. I would have never known about the surgery had I not been told.

I have to say that today was the first day I felt hungry a lot! But the weird thing is that I ate more than I have been eating. So, I dunno what’s going on. If I haven’t said it enough, I will say it again – the liquid diet is getting OLD. Haha Oh well – it’s all part of the process.

I worked in the office from about 9 to 2:30 – but most of that was just talking with people and catching up on what’s going on. I then came home and worked online until about 5. Scott and I then napped from about 5-7:30 p.m. I didn’t have my usual post-op sleeping problems this time. Haha I was out like a light – and I could have slept longer if I wanted to.

Frustration
I know I am not suppose to compare myself to others on this journey, but I am frustrated that my weight-loss has stalled. I know all the usual responses – “This isn’t a race” “In due time” “Everyone’s body is different” “You’re probably losing inches” “14 pounds is great!” and so on.

I know 14 pound is great. It’s been great since last Thursday or so. I guess I am frustrated when I see others who had their surgeries when I did already losing 20 or so pounds – and these are people who weigh less than me.

You can’t help but feel frustrated because you work so hard and you’re depriving yourself so much – you expect phenomenal results. I know my time is coming. I know all of the other stuff too. It’s logical, rational thinking. It’s just sometimes you don’t feel logical or rational. So, I am giving myself permission to feel frustrated. I am not going to dismiss my feelings. I am going to feel them, accept them and move on.

If anyone reads this and they too feel frustrated, please don’t let others make you feel bad for feeling that way. I think it’s normal. You come so far (you’ve altered your body in fact!), so naturally you’re going to want the same results others are getting. Just remember, you’re entitled to your feelings and you’re OK for having them.

A total day-brightener
This morning I happened to check my bulk mail folder in my yahoo e-mail box (I usually delete its contents without checking), and I had a personal email from a sweet lady named Martha that somehow got sent there. I opened it up, and it was a letter that totally made my day! I am soooo glad I found it! Here’s an excerpt that really touched my heart:

I have to tell you that for the last hour, I’ve been reading your profile. It is BY FAR, THE most OUTSTANDING profile I have ever read!!! You have been given such a gift and you use it so well. I was mesmerized the whole time and would buy any book you pen! You have found your calling in journalism and communicating, that’s for sure! Thanks so much for sharing your life and thoughts. I can relate to so much of what you feel!

WOW. God is so good.

Thank You God for my many blessings. Bless me and everyone else on this journey. Please protect our health, minds and hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home