Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

11.13.2004

Catching up!

I know it's been a long time for me to update. I am still on the journey. It's just that so much has taken place. Whew!

Let me catch up...

DR. HARBERG
I met with Dr. Harberg on Oct. 8. I had to watch a video about the VBG surgery, and then I got to meet with him. He was as gruff as everyone says about him - but he was also a good man.

His goal is to scare the hell out of you, which is understandable. Any weight-loss surgery is serious. He wants to weed out people who aren't prepared for this. I admire him for taking that approach. So many other doctors would see all of us wanting the surgery as money in the bank. He sees us a people.

I wasn't scared of him. I knew what to expect. I also had done my homework. Once he realized that, he lightened up. After talking with me for about a half-hour, he determined that I was a great candidate. On Oct. 11, his office sent off my paperwork.

(One interesting side note: I learned that I am 5'7" by his account - not 5'8" like I've always thought!)


A NEW APPROACH
After meeting with him, however, I determined that I didn't want the VBG. It seems that a lot of people have them revised into the RNY anyway. Plus, I didn't like the fact that I could basically eat what I wanted after 6 weeks. I need to know that I cannot eat sugar or sweets. I didn't want to go through major surgery, only to set myself up for failure. Finally, the thought of having the NG tube down my throat for a day or so scared me terribly. I would HATE IT!

So, I started searching for docs who do the RNY. I confided to my friend *L* that I am wanting the surgery. She then confided in me that she is on this journey too! I was so thrilled! She turned me on to the doc she wants to use - Dr. Adam Naaman.

I called his office. The receptionist was rude. I told L. She said she had the same problem and told me to e-mail Kimberly Taylor, who is the Bariatric Program Manager at Memorial Hermann Memorial City Hospital where Dr. Naaman operates.

In five minutes, Kimberly called me. She was sooooooooooooooooooo wonderful! She apologized for the response I got and said she would talk to the office manager. She and I then talked for a half hour. Kim had the RNY done and has lost a great deal of weight. She sent me her pics. I couldn't believe how awesome she looks.

We talked about the fears, excitement and impatience this journey creates. She also told me about a support group at the hospital she runs that I should attend. Finally, she invited me to join their yahoo group as well! I hit the jackpot!

Later that day, Bernie the office manager called me. She was AWESOME! She too apologized for the treatment and faxed me over the paperwork immediately. We talked for a while too. I just loved her and the personal touch she adds.

That night I filled out the paperwork and faxed it back. Bernie called the next day and said she received it. She then told me that we should just let Dr. Harberg's office get the insurance approval and then I can switch it to Dr. Naaman.

She also told me that I needed a psych eval and a letter from my PCP before I could meet with Dr. Naaman, even though I didn't need it to meet with Dr. Harberg or for them to submit my info to insurance.

Sooooooooo....I called my PCP. And, to my surprise, I learned she was out on maternity leave! nooooooooooo I made an appointment with the fill-in doc anyway.

A DETOUR
Well, I had a well-woman exam, which was a few months overdue. For my size, I am in great health. My blood pressure was excellent. She reviewed my records and saw how my previous test were great too. She was hesitant about writing a letter for me, not knowing me. But I asked her to please do it.

She wanted to wait until I got the results of a mammogram and ultrasound on a breast lump that I had felt for a while. She also had me do a blood workup.

My pap smear and all the bloodwork came back normal - my cholesterol was great, my triglycerides were great, everything was great. The transvagial ultrasound I had showed that my ovaries were functioning properly. Having battled infertility, this was awesome news. My mammogram and ultrasound showed nothing - which surprised me. It surprised her too, considering she felt it.

So, she sent me to a surgeon. He felt the lump and suggest we remove it surgically. UGH. So, on Tuesday, Nov. 4, I had surgery. I was really scared. They tried to run my IV 3 times before they got it on the 4th try. OUCH. They did it in the operating room - and I panicked. It was so scary laying there. I started questioning if I wanted to go through weight-loss surgery or not!

I spent a few days recovering. Luckily, the lump was a benign cyst. Thank You God!

BACK ON TRACK!
I finally received the letter from the acting PCP! Woo hoo! All I needed was my psych eval, which was easy because I see the counselor at work for my ADD. She said she would write it.

However...Dr. Harberg's office called and said that the insurance needed just two more things: A letter from my old insurance stating that I had credible coverage before I got my current insurance AND a psych eval from a Ph.D., medical doctor or a counselor with a master's in social work. I thought, "No Problem!"

Well...my counselor has a master's in counseling. LUCKILY, another counselor in the office has the credentials! So, I met with her on Monday, Nov. 8. She was nice. She was like, "Why do YOU want the surgery?? You don't look like you need it!" I said, "I weigh 320 pounds!" She couldn't believe it. So, that's good. She had the letter ready that same day!

I called my former insurance group and they take 7-10 days to mail that credible coverage letter. I thought they could just fax it to me.

So! I finally got all of my remaining paperwork (PCP letter and psych letter) in so I can meet with Dr. Naaman. I go on Tuesday, Nov. 23. YAY! Ironically and unbeknownst to me, I scheduled my appointment at 4 p.m. - right before L's appointment at 4:30. haha So, I am going to wait for her and we're going to dinner so we don't have to fight the Houston rush-hour traffic.

I am excited to meet him and Bernie! I very much want this to happen!

On the other side of the fence, all I need to satisfy my insurance is that letter of credible coverage and the psych eval, which I have of course. The lady at Dr. Harberg's office seems to think that once I get this all turned in, I shouldn't have a prob getting the approval. Great West Insurance tends to be good at this.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the first time I have truly felt impatient! haha I feel very stuck in the in-between.

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to try and make it to the support group meeting. I cannot wait to meet so many of the nice people I've met in the Yahoo group. :-) yay! I feel so blessed to have L on this journey with me, as well as all the new friends I am making along the way. How wonderful is that?

IT'S TIME FOR A NEW ME
After spending all this time on my journey and reading these profiles, I know with all my heart I am ready for this. I am tired of living half a life. I have the spirit that is meant to live a full, active and joyful existence. I am scared to change, but I know it is time.

Anyway, I pray you are doing well on your journey, no matter the stage you are in.

xoxox Melissa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home