Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

9.26.2005

Post-Op Day 270: We survived Rita!

I don’t have Internet access today (Sunday, September 25, 2005), but I wanted to capture my thoughts.

We survived the Hurricane Rita evacuation! What a long week this has been. OMG it’s been horrendous. You know, you never imagine yourself going through a national incident. You see things on TV and you think, “Those poor people.” However, you’re emotionally removed from it all no matter how much you empathize.

I never dreamed in a million years I would have to go through my house and try to decide what I could leave behind to possibly perish. I never dreamed that I would have to imagine my life without my home. I never dreamed that I would be able to drive away not knowing if it all would be here when I returned.

However, the thing I never dreamed in a million years is that I would have to hug and kiss my husband goodbye in our driveway as I had to leave him and drive away – not knowing if his office building would survive a Category 5 hurricane. Luckily, Hurricane Rita missed our region and it came ashore as a Category 3, but still – when I left Scott behind, it was a Cat 5 and it was barreling toward the Galveston/Houston area.

I was so angry/frustrated/scared at that moment. I sobbed before I left because I knew I had to say goodbye to him and our house in such a time of uncertainty and fear. As I drove off, the magnitude of my love for him and our life together really hit me. I mean, I know how much I love Scott and our life together – but at that moment, it hit with full force.

Once I got on the tollway at 12:30 a.m., I realized what was in store for me. I had 100 miles to go and it took me three hours to go the first two of those miles. Just as the national news showed, the traffic out of Houston was horrendous to say the least. All told, it took me 15 hours to go 100 miles. The first 12 hours, I only went 31 or so miles.

I never dreamed I could survive something so awful. I just wanted to turn back, but I knew I couldn’t. That experience is something I will never forget. Neither will I forget this horrible gas shortage nor the long lines everywhere – fast-food restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

I felt so blessed to finally arrive at my in-laws. Unlike so many others, I had safe surroundings, a bed to sleep in, my own shower, a bathroom, food, television – the basics that others didn’t have. Thank You God for those blessings.

My in-laws were fabulous in making me feel at home. I will never forget their hospitality. Katie and I both enjoyed our stay despite the situation at hand.

I was so relieved when Scott reported back that our home was intact with no damage and we had power. I had begun to pack up my stuff Saturday afternoon after sitting in line for more than a half-hour to get gasoline. Once I got word that the house was once again livable, I finished packing and headed home at 10 p.m. I was afraid of another long drive. However, it was smooth sailing. I got home by midnight. What a difference driving two hours makes over 15!

It was wonderful sleeping in my own bed! OMG I never felt anything better in my life I think. Unfortunately Scott had to return to work and didn’t have time to turn on the gas, so I am without hot water. I still soaked in a lukewarm tub before bed, and it was wonderful!! As I soaked, I just laid there thinking how blessed we are to still have our home.

I slept nice and sound. All day today I’ve been half lazy-half busy. I cleaned most of the house before putting back the things I packed. I still have to unpack my clothes and business papers, but other than that – things are back to normal.

Oh! I went to the grocery early this morning and it was a freaking madhouse! People were backed up to the meat department and also to the dairy department. I bet lines were 15-20 people deep. It was insane. Luckily I got into the quickest line. I had a lot of stuff since I had to replenish what was in our fridge and freezer that I had to throw out. I am so glad I got that over with!

All is well except that I miss Scott so damn much. Not only did he work through the hurricane, he’s staying in a hotel room across the street from his job so that he can keep things going at work until the team can return. I know he is focused on his job, but I wish he knew how much him not being with me has affected me. Sometimes you just need to be with your husband, you know?

I am so very proud of him, though, for being such a dedicated hard worker. I admire his tenacity and endurance. He is amazing, and I love him so much. When I see him, it will be awesome.

Finally, the scale showed that I am at 199.5 this morning. Before I truly embrace the number, I want to see it several times on the scale first. With everything that’s going on, I believe my weight will fluctuate.

I have to say that I was thrilled to see the number on the scale. However, with all that’s going on, I probably wasn’t as excited as I would have been prior to all this craziness. I think if I see it tomorrow, I will be able to process it more. I am excited…trust me. It’s just that my senses are dulled from the senses overload I’ve been under.

I am exhausted, so I am going to bed. I will post this as soon as I can once I get back online.

Thank You God soooooooooooooooo much for protecting Scott, Katie, my friends, strangers and me. You are Amazing God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home