Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

9.10.2005

Post-Op Day 255: The stitches are out! :-)

Here's what I posted to my parotid support group just now...


Well yesterday I went to get the stitches out. It was virtually painless and the surgical area looks better than I ever expected. I've included a link to the webpage following my parotid journey. The most current pics are at the bottom. http://melissastransformation.homestead.com/parotid.html

When he walked in, he goes, "Do you know how big that thing was?"

I didn't but thought it was pretty small. He said, "It was the size of a walnut!"

Now that DID shock me!

He said the MRI didn't show exactly how big and deep it was, as part of it was hidden by my jaw bone. So this is another prompting for those of you who might be putting off surgery - DON'T! Your tumor could be bigger than you think and it can keep growing!

I told him I had a few rough days post-op. He just stopped and said, "You had some MAJOR surgery. Don't think otherwise for a second."

I think it really hit home then. I have been trying so hard to get back on my feet this week, that I don't think I really realized how serious or in-depth it was. So, today I am being a little more gentler on myself.

When he took out the stitches, he told me that I look great and the surgical area looks fabulous. He said, "Obviously you're a quick healer!"

I guess I feel if I can make it through gastric bypass, I can do anything. haha

I told him about this wonderful message board and I can tell he was flattered when he learned that some of you have commented on his exceptional skill with the stitchings.

He said, "Make sure my name's spelled right!" haha His name is Dr. Robert Parke in Houston, TX. I told him I wouldn't forget his 'e' on the end. :-) He told his staff all about this board. Too funny!

Anyway, it was a great experience. His nurse said I looked amazing and thought I had already gone back to work. haha I had dolled myself up. I feel better that way, you know?

He told me I could return to work on Monday but to NOT overdo it in anyway - especially no heavy exercising.

I will return to see him in three weeks.

So there you have it!

I didn't go out last night. Instead, I just stayed home, watched TV with my hubby and passed out on the couch. Today I have been really lazy. While I've had some pain in the surgical area, overall I have felt pretty darn good considering one week ago I was just released from the hospital. I am going out dancing tonight. :-)

So there you have it. Thanks to the post-ops for all their love, support and wisdom. For the pre-ops, please know you can reach out to me or anyone here for support. My email is melissadeaver_writer@yahoo.com.

Lots of love, Melissa

***

I was so relieved to get those stitches out. The surgical area is still numb, but it will be for a long time (six months or so). Luckily, I find myself getting use to it more and more every day. It's amazing how the body and mind can adapt.

Otherwise, nothing's really going on. Just looking forward to going out tonight. :-)

It's been raining all morning. I've loved how relaxing it's been. Unfortunately, Scott had to work today. I am missing him. Otherwise, it's been a good day.

I changed the color of my blog to give some variety. I am sure I will be tinkering with it more in the future. I can't let anything stay the same for too long - my Attention Deficit Disorder won't allow anything to get boring in my life. haha

I just want to say that I am so THANKFUL God has once more helped me through the tough times. I never want to take that blessing for granted. Many people have problems with this surgery - whether it is they find out they have cancer or that they have facial paralysis. I realize it could have been so much worse. Thank YOU God for protecting me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home