Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

9.09.2005

Post-Op Day 254: Catching up!

I'm here and doing MUCH better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's probably easier to post here the post I made in the parotid tumor support group...

Hey Ya'll -

I just want to first say thank you for all your helpful (and sometimes hysterical) tips for getting rid of the constipation. I will never look at McDonald's the same now. hehe

Well, I am one-week post op! I cannot believe that a week ago I was at the hospital and a half-hour from surgery. I was a nervous wreck!

This has been a challenging week in parts but nothing that kept me down for too long.

I stopped taking the Tylenol with Codeine on Monday to work through the constipation issues. I replaced it with just plain ol' Extra Strength Tylenol. The first day was rough and I took about 8 of those babies.

Tuesday I began working from home. The pain was still there, but was subsiding - as was the constipation. I took a nap in the middle of the day but otherwise, I was fully alert at my computer and working for 8 or 9 hours.

Wednesday, I actually took a long hot shower, washed my hair (avoiding my surgical area of course), put on makeup, fixed my hair and wore a summer dress. I know I looked much more alive! I took a pic of myself. I will include the link. The new pic is on the bottom of the page.

Yesterday I felt MUCH better and more like myself. I think I only took three Tylenol. The worst part is a dull headache I keep getting - and of course not feeling my ear. But it's cool. I will adjust. :-)

I again got dolled up for the day (I even wore earrings though it felt strange at first). My hubby and I went to dinner. Yesterday was my first time venturing out since surgery. It felt so great!

Today I go to get my stitches out. I can't wait to have them gone, but I am nervous that it will hurt. Oh well...I can cope. I've come this far!

This weekend, I plan to go out dancing and getting my life back to its normal chaotic self. :-)

For those who are pre-op, please know that the wait for surgery is the worst part. The what-ifs scare the heck outta you. Once you've got that out of the way, you just roll with the punches.

The first few days are kinda rough as your adjust to the lack of feeling in your ear (wooden ear) and the pain can be intense (at least it was for me). But remember, it's nothing you can't handle.


I was very lucky in that I had no facial paralysis. I thank God for that repeatedly. However, like those who did have it on here, you can adjust to that too until the paralysis is gone.


For the record:

- I didn't wake up in a lot of pain and I felt relieved it was over

- The drain doesn't hurt at all coming out and is hardly noticeable when its in

- The meds in the hospital are much better than the ones at home so enjoy them

- You are sent home with something along the lines of vicodin or Tylenol with Codeine

- Sleep is your best friend (so don't fight it like I did)

- Watch out for constipation

- Use this board as your resource to ask questions, vent or whine (Lord knows I've done enough of it)

- Be positive and know having this surgery is the best thing you can do for yourself! Please don't leave that tumor in just because you dread surgery or think it will go away on its own. It's critical you do this!

Ok I will stop rambling. I will post about my doctor's visit soon.

Love to you all - Melissa

So that's that...

The good news is that my weight loss is still happening. Here's the rundown...

9/2/05: 208.0 (-116) (32.6)
Surgery/recovery in these days – weight went up to 212 from fluids!
9/6/05: 207.5 (-116.5) (32.6)
9/7/05: 206.0 (-118) (32.3)
9/8/05: 205.5 (-118.5) (32.3)
9/9/05: 205.5 (-118.5) (32.3) (46.5 lbs. from overall goal!)

YAYA for me...I can SOOOOOOOOO see Onederland! Man I want to get there so bad!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home