Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

11.20.2005

Obesity Help Houston event

Yesterday was absolutely fabulous!!! I went to the Obesity Help conference and then partied afterwards with some of the Obesity Help message board folks. I am soooooooooooo glad I went!

The night before I was stressed because I really wanted something new to wear. My wardrobe is so small now and everything was dirty from this past week. I rotate the same five or so outfits week after week after week, so by the time the weekend comes I have nothing to wear unless I wash it.

After picking through everything at Walmart and then Kohls, I finally found the perfect outfit at Kohls around 11 p.m. I was so tired. I found a pretty ivory top along with awesome complimentary earrings, necklace and a purse all for $60. I felt guilty spending the money, but I knew it was a bargain and I rarely buy myself anything like that. Oh, I need to add that the top was a fitted 14 - my first time wearing a top in that size!

Even though I bought it, I still didn't know if I was going to wear it until I woke up the next morning. I had already planned an alternate and had tried to talk myself into returning the ensemble. However, I just couldn't deny that it all looked really nice and it made me feel good to feel put together for a change. I've gotten so use to putting together hodge-podge outfits generally from hand-me-downs.

Anyway, I am so glad I wore it. After I got ready and was about to leave, I went to wake Scott and tell him goodbye. When he opened his eyes, he goes: "My God!" I said, "What?!" He said, "You just look so beautiful. That outfit looks great on you!"

That made my day!!! *blush* I love that man!

The event itself was sooooooooo awesome! I met three friends from work there - Toni, Amy and Melissa. We're all in the support group I run at Johnson Space Center. I was soooo glad they went and I got to spend time with them. Toni looks amazing! She's lost over 60 pounds since her July 27 surgery. I hadn't seen her in a month and a half, so the changes were really drastic in my eyes. Man, this surgery is amazing!!

I learned quite a bit and, more so, it really helped me focus on what's important in this journey. Plus, it's so awesome to be surrounded by those who have had the surgery and those who want it. You just feel like everyone there understands you and what you've been through. What's funny is that you see these "normal" sized people and, when you learn that they've lost 100+ pounds, you almost can't even believe it!

There were two segments that were really emotional for me. One is when a guy from the Texas message board shared his story. Ramon has lost 250+ pounds and is absolutely amazing. He is such a great speaker and a passionate man. When they showed a video presentation at the end featuring his before and after photos, I cried. Just to see how he has changed and how his world has opened up really touched me. Plus, he had such awesome words of wisdom on appreciating this surgery and doing what you have to do to make it work.

The other segment that got to me is when they had all of us who have lost 100 or more pounds stand up and walk to the side. As I walked to my spot, I almost couldn't believe I was part of that group. One year ago, I weighed 324 pounds. I never ever dreamed that just one year later, I would weigh 185 pounds. God is so good.

When I had to walk up to the mic and say "My name is Melissa and I have lost 139 pounds," I almost cried. The feelings it brought up in me were intense. They still are and I am on the brink of tears just typing all this. I feel so blessed, lucky, happy, amazed, overwhelmed and grateful. To be delivered from morbid obesity is the single-most incredible thing that has ever happened to me, and I vow to spend my life working to help others reach the other side as well.

By the time I got home, I was on such a high. Scott was thrilled for me that I had a great time. I thanked him repeatedly for being my rock, cheering me on and staying by my side through all of this. I always want him to know how much his love and support has meant to me.

I later talked to my bypass twin Diana and she was heading to the Hop to party with people from the message board. So, I got my diva hoochie outfit on and headed that way. ;-)

I had a BLAST!!! It was soooooo terrific to see Diana. She looks freaking amazing! OMG I am so proud of her!!! Diana - I love you!!

I met so many wonderful folks. I definitely need to stop lurking on the message board and start talking more. Those folks are beautiful, wonderful and inspiring!!

I had two awesome compliments last night. One was that a person was surprised that I had gastric bypass; another is that a person thought I had already had my plastic surgery done! WOW - talk about blowing me away.

Also, throughout the night, people were telling me how attractive I was. Given what I wrote in my previous entry about not feeling as attractive and sexy as I once did, it really and truly made my night.

I had a blast dancing with new friends and talking to people. My friend Mark showed up and paid my bar tab, so that rocked too. hehe

I really hope we do this more - I need to stay plugged in and connected with people who totally understand.

I will close this with a photo of me with Ramon and Kristal. I made it black and white because Kristal and I had red eyes. I think it turned out really good and captures the fun and magic of last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home