Melissa's Transformation - The Blog :-)

Obviously, I'm Melissa :-) This is my incredible journey as I transform inside and out after having gastric bypass surgery on Dec. 29, 2004. It's a wild, wonderful trip!
I am newly separated. I live in Pasadena, Texas, ya'll, with my little Schnoodle dog named Katie! I love helping people in all phases of this weight-loss journey.

3.08.2006

Post-Op Day: Happy Hump Day

Well, there's just a few more days until my birthday on Saturday! I cannot believe I will be 35. I kinda like that number though for some reason...or at least that's what I am telling myself.

I received a beautiful card and gift in the mail yesterday from Toni, my friend that had gastric bypass surgery in July. It was the sweetest, most beautiful card ever! It had a butterfly on the cover (butterflies represent our transformation in the weight-loss surgery community) and inside it said: "May your birthday be beautiful just like you. Happy Birthday." awwww

Then she wrote a wonderful note thanking me for everything I've done for her on her new path and wishing me a fabulous year. Isn't that so sweet??

She also sent me this little box called "The Art of Belly Dancing." Inside this little box are some zills (finger cymbals) adhesive jewels and a 32-page primer to help get me started! It is the coolest thing - and thoughtful too, as I have been wanting to take belly dancing lessons for a while now. I love that Girl!!!

Bad hair

Other than that, not a lot happened yesterday. It was so humid and my hair totally screwed up. It doesn't help that I decided to cut on it myself and now I hate what I've done. I do that about twice a year. It's the impatient ADD person inside of me that can't leave well-enough alone until it grows out. Instead, I whack on it and I set myself back a few months. GRRRR Now I am going to have bad hair for my party. :-( (I sound like a 14 year old, don't I?)

ok enough of that.

Actually, two things did happen that I want to touch on briefly...

One was that I caught a glimpse of my reflection yesterday as I walked past a long window. For some reason, my eyes saw myself with more weight on me than I've had in a while - perhaps 100 pounds more. I guess it was just a flashback, but it scared me. I didn't realize I had such a fear of gaining the weight back - but I really think I do.

I guess that's normal. However, for that brief second, it was as if all I had worked for was gone and I had my old body shape. I don't want to go back there. I am sure much of it is pride. I mean I am finally, for the first time ever, liking how my body shape looks. I've never known what it's like to feel truly comfortable in the space I take up.

So, I will take that little mind trip as a reminder from God that I need to stop picking on myself so much for the little details (like my screwed up hair???) and never forget how far I've come and APPRECIATE that blessing.

Also...

Last night I went to Steak Night at the Hop. Believe it or not, the Hop has THE BEST steak I have ever eaten - and I've had some high-dollar steaks in my life. I don't know what it is - maybe they marinade in heroin - but those steaks are sooooooo addicting!

Anyway, my friends couldn't make it and Scott was working late, so I sat at the bar reading some local publications as I waited for my food. Steak Night attracts a 60-and-older crowd generally, so I usually have some older gentlemen making conversation with me (and they tell me I look like Marilyn Monroe haha).

Well, this older gentleman scooted over next to me and said, "Excuse me. I have to tell you, you look so much like my wife who passed away last year."

I was taken back by his words but I was STUNNED when I saw the photo he presented to me. In essence, she was me at about 60. Same platinum blonde hair, same cheekbones, same smile, same hair. It was uncanny.

He told me she missed one mammogram and that proved fatal. The next year, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and it went into her bones. She fought for two years and died last January. He kept telling me to never miss a mammogram. It was so, so sad.

They were married for 19 years and you could tell he is still grieving so much. He said when I walked into the bar, it blew him away. I cannot imagine how hard it was for him to see me. As he talked about her, his eyes filled with tears.

He asked if I was married; I told him yes. He said too bad because he would marry me in a heartbeat and that he has a nice house and money. It was sad because you could tell he was just trying to recapture the magic he has lost.

After we talked, he left. I left shortly after and I cried all the way home. Life is so short. I felt so bad for him - to be missing someone that much and knowing she will never come back to him. It made me really appreciate all that I have right now at this time. Thank You God for my many, many blessings.

***

Ok I need to get ready for work. I am so glad I am writing in my blog more. It's such therapy. :-)

1 Comments:

  • At March 08, 2006 7:15 AM, Blogger spicey pineapple said…

    i read your blog i think its great and congratulations on what you have done and accomplished i think it is fantastic, dont worry i sometimes cut my own hir and hate it to. i really liked your blog it was a fantastic read and i think you may enjoy mine so stop on over have a read and leave commnents if not happy blogging and i'll be back to read futrue posts

     

Post a Comment

<< Home